Thursday, July 19, 2012

The taste that fits my mouth.

I love tea.
As a child I did tea parties for my birthday 4 years in a row. I wished I was English. I was prim and proper. As a child I chose to take an etiquette class, for fun! I even tried reading parts of a 400+ page book from the 1930s with the title, "Etiquette" (I was ten).
As a homeschooler I chose a Canadian curriculum based on Anne of Green Gables which meant I learned European history more than American. I studied the Kings, the Queens... As I grew I didn't change much. I was not as prim and proper as a teenager, but my love for the English grew stronger. (Too many English authors, movies, BBC, I loved it all).
At age sixteen I became friends with a boyish adventurer from England named Paul. After years of spending time with our family I began to feel like I had a little brother. Now, he is family. I consider him as much my brother as I do my sisters, my blood sisters.
At age 19, I flew across the pond!
For two weeks I enjoyed the company of Paul and his parents. England was all I'd hoped for and more. Someday, I want to go back and live there. Be a true English native. The culture fits me. But until I live there I'll have to settle for the taste that fits my mouth. Nothing tastes more perfect to my tongue than my favorite tea.
Roobis, filling a gold edged English teacup.

No comments:

Post a Comment