My Bird. My Baby.
Our new home is much better than our last.
Although the stories were hilarious to recount, the experience was less than desirable. We had neighbors with the stamina to fight with each other (loudly I might add) for over 12 hours. Impressive. I felt like I was eavesdropping with our cardboard thick walls. Another joy of our apartment was, "our pets". At least, that's what we humorously called them. We had a least two small creatures living in our attic. They liked to claw, and tumble around. I'm not exactly sure WHAT they were doing up there. But a wrestling match with a trampoline for hurling their furry bodies at each other was not out of the question. There were times when the thumps were so loud I was sure they would fall through ceiling and land in my house.
The worst thing about our old place was how common the sound of gun fire was. At least 2 or 3 times a week we would hear shots fired. And the really disturbing part was that we got used to it. We were so used to it, in fact, that we stopped calling the cops. And more often than not the shots were followed by silence, instead of sirens.
Our new house is a new experience altogether. We can't hear our neighbors at all. Haven't once. In fact, most of the time it's a quiet neighborhood. (I haven't heard a single gun shot, thank God). We have upgraded in so many ways. We have two bedrooms now instead of one, the kitchen is bigger, the windows are nicer. But one of my favorite things about our new place is our bird. I began calling it that after it's third or fourth appearance. You see, there is a bird couple residing near our house. They are adorable little things that are obviously in love (as much as a bird can be).
They fluttered about like they were twitterpated and the lady bird was obviously full with eggs. The mommy bird liked to perch her chubby eggfull self on the ledge of our deck. Which is how I first noticed her cuteness. I was sitting on the chair by the sliding glass doors when she looked at me. She likes to just sit, look in, bob around a bit and flutter away. Sometimes she uses her perch to rest for a few minutes and we look right at each other. If she could talk I'm sure we'd be friends.
It snowed nearly a foot and I didn't see my bird for a few days. At first I was concerned. But then, there she was, she managed to sit in the snow on that ledge. Her tiny body was covered in the mess, so she didn't stay long. The last time I saw her perch was a few days ago. I don't think she'll have as much time for me as she used to... Because she wasn't chubby anymore. She must have laid her eggs.
Maybe the reason I was so enamored with that little eggfull bird is because of my own pregnancy. It was a journey we were both experiencing. I am 1 day past my due date and I am desperate to have this baby! I've eaten spicy food, taken a walk, done squats and more. Most first-time moms are late. My mom was 10 days late with all three of her kids. And I know I don't REALLY have a choice when this baby will come. And it's not as if I need to rush... The baby will be more of a challenge than my uncomfortable belly ever was. But....
I'm ready to hold my baby.
I long to hold this new little person in my arms and tell my little one how much I love it. I long to see my husband's tear stained face at becoming a father, and I long to be a mother. I can't wait to know if it's a little boy or a little girl.
I feel so honored that God has entrusted us with this special little person. I know so many struggle to get pregnant and many cannot conceive at all. I don't take this for granted. We are blessed. Undeservedly blessed. And I am thankful. Everything about the pregnancy has been pretty normal. No reason to think they'll be any complications with the birth. We will be at a birthing center with no conventional pain killers, just all natural remedies; that's my style. Any hour now I hope to go into labor. Or as I tell my belly, "bring it on baby!"...
Please pray that the baby comes swiftly and everything goes well. Pray that God gives me the strength and endurance for labor and pray for speed and ease.
Thanks for reading...
-Leah LeJeune
My guess is, this baby will be "late." Just on time for the baby and for you, of course, but doctors are only right 50 percent of the time with their due dates. It's a terrible percentage, and nobody would bet on those odds. However, people love to call babies "late" in spite of that. Your mother in law was "late" with 10 babies. Seth was "on time" because of a C-Section. Jolie was "late." I'm pretty sure Yvonne's kid Sean was, too. I don't know about Leslie and Angie, though. Hold on. You and the baby will know what time is right, and then it will happen.
ReplyDeletehe was only 3 days after he was due. :-)
ReplyDelete