Friday, May 25, 2012

Walking on Water- Chapter 10

"We leave you for five minutes and you're already making friends?" Asked Emylin. She looked right up at Marcson and introduced herself. Paulson came next. Amber came a moment later.
"Hello, I'm Amber Marcson."
"I see. You are his sister," Marson smiled.
"Why yes," Amber smiled and shook Marcson's hand. "I am Amber."
"Glad to meet you... Which province are you from?" Asked Marcson.
"We are from Cherries, Natchare." Answered Amber.
"A long ways from home... What brings you so far north?" Asked Marcson.
"Actually we are headed home now..." Eth cut in.
Emylin got excited. "You can ride the watercraft with us! All of you."
"I appreciate the sentiment. But if that's your boat, we can't all fit." Replied Marcson. "Besides I don't mind treading a little river side."
"I'll do the same." Eth said, "Amber you can ride with them." Eth motioned towards the boat.
"I don't mind walking." Amber said, glancing at Marcson.
"Really. I must insist. I know what the cold water does to your skin." Eth continued.
Amber forced a smile, "So thoughtful of you brother."
The next few minutes were spent collecting more fruit and filling skin bottles with water. Amber found herself between two Nitesols both rowing. She felt like a princess with both of them working their wooden paddles... Marcson and Eth followed. After a few minutes trek the distance between the men and the boat lengthened. After a half an hour Marcson and Eth had lost sight of them completely.
"River going is always rough..." Marcson ventured gliding along the shore between trees.
"Doesn't bother me," Eth replied. They were silent for a while. Marcson going ahead, holding back limbs. Eth treading along behind. He realized how out of shape he was down a steep hill. Marcson stopped as if we knew Eth's tiredness. "Water?" He offered. Eth nodded. He took a swig.
"I haven't taken this trip in the river." Eth told the truth, "How long will it take?"
"Three days in river and two more on land." Marcson answered. "At least that's usually what it takes me. My guess is your sister and friends arrive a day before us. At the rate we're going..."
"That's no good." Eth mused. He handed back the water skins. Marcson fastened it to his leather shoulder strap which held an assortment of bundles on his back. Eth started walking ahead. He wasn't about to let Amber go a day ahead of them. They would have to catch up. As the sky darkened Eth saw something we didn't expect. In the night sky two moons shone down on them surrounded by the brightest starts he had ever seen.
"Want to make camp?" Asked Marcson.
"No, I want to catch up." Explained Eth.
"Alright Ethory. I've got a few good miles left in me." Marcson laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment