Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Walking on Water - Chapter 9


The next thing Eth knew he was helping Paulson start a small fire in the brush. All of them sat in the wood with fruit on sticks over the fire. Amber knew something about the fruit because she took his from him when it browned. She walked the fruit to the water and he followed. 
"I'm glad we're alone so we can talk," Said Amber merrily cooling the fruit in the water.
"Did I miss something?" 
"What do you mean?" She answered slowly pealing the tough skins away from the flesh. She dropped the fruit skins in the stream.
"You are not acting like the girl in the car. What am I supposed to believe? Who are you?"
"This is me," Amber looked at him handing him the fruit. Eth sat and ate at the warm yellow insides. Juicy. Delicious. Something between a pineapple and guava yet the core tasted more like blueberries and got seedy. 
"Thanks," Eth said wiping his face of the juice. His scrubs looked worse for the wear and he wished he could take a hot shower, shave and change into jeans. 
"I'll tell you something Trouble...."
"What's that?"
"I am more myself here than I ever was in your world. I was glad to come back..."
"Why did you bring me?"
"I don't know." She threw a rock into the water. "I guess I would've felt responsible if you had died. The agency had told me to spare you. Keep you alive. And that was what I meant to do."
"Does the agency know about Elderworld?" Eth asked. 
"No." Amber paused. "I'm the only link. I don't know why..."
"So your family all lived here?" Eth looked at the beauty that surrounded them. 
"Not exactly. What I mean to say is, we were from a different kingdom." 
"Ok. Are all the kingdoms the same?" 
"I don't really want to talk about it..."
"Of course you don't have to. But why not talk to me?" Eth glanced her direction. She had her feet dangling in the water, her shoes beside her. Her smile had vanished. She bit her lip and he touched her hand. "What's wrong?"
"It's strange being here without my family. Not knowing if I'll ever see my sister or mother again... I'm mad at myself that I couldn't save my brother or my father and now I'm alone in my own world."
"I'm here."
"Yes you are." Amber moved her hand away patted his shoulder. She returned to the fire. 
Ordinarily Eth would've followed her. But there was something amazing about just sitting (in this place). He wanted to figure out what was so different. Eth glanced up at the sun again. On earth he had sensitive eyes. Sunglasses were a must. But here, here he could look straight up without squinting. The sun was different.
"On guard sir!" Shouted a man running through the river at him. 
Eth stood and put a tree between him and the man. "Slow down. I don't have a sword."
"Must a supply you one? Daft enemies… Did you kill my brother or not?"
"Um... No sir. I'm sorry. I have no idea who you are and I definitely didn't kill anyone. I'm, not from around here."
"You are certainly not." The black haired main sheathed his sword. "Marcson..." 
"Hi."
"And your name."
"Ethory Markson." Why had he used Ethory. He never used his full name. Only his mother called him that. But it fit this place.
"We share a name! My first is your last... That's quite amazing. Where do you hail from?" Marcson found a tree and leaned against it. Eth didn't move. Could he trust this man?
"I am from the south." Eth didn't know what province he was supposed to be from. Did she leave him in the dark for a reason? 
"Right... I am from the north. Dossint. Just two miles hence." Marcson motioned up stream.
"I have been avenging my brothers’ death for the past 2 years. I know I will never find his killer... But I cannot seem to shake my opening line."
Eth laughed, "What?"
"I am sad to say most of first meetings ( of even the dearest of friends) start with an awkward question and an inquiry about my brother… That is before I can continue."
"What if I were lying?"
"I'd know." Marcson sounded like he almost laughed. Eth came out from behind the tree. 
"Are you traveling the river also?" Asked Marcson. 
"Depends on who is asking..."
"Aight, a man with brains… You must be on a quest. Do you travel alone aswell?"
"With my sister." Eth said. 
"What is her name?"
Before Eth could answer the Nitesols approached. 

No comments:

Post a Comment